“The new year stands before us, like a chapter in a book, waiting to be written.” -Melody Beattie
It’s hard to believe that 2019 is already upon us. But here it is! I love that quote by Melody Beattie. I would reword it like this for you today – 2019 is standing before you, like a chapter in a book, waiting to be written. What will be written in your story this year? Personally, professionally – 2019 is going to be YOUR year!
As a business owner, I step back and think about how to best start out the new year. Thankfully, I’m a part of the Cumming-Forsyth County Chamber of Commerce. They have a program called BAR which is short for Business Advancement Resources. I have loved being a part of this excellent resource!
The mission of The Business Advancement Resources (BAR) is to to provide small, existing, and emerging businesses with resources to succeed.
In connection with their mission, they have graciously shared some tips to help start your new year out well. These tips are specific to business owners. Please feel free to pass this article along to anyone! The hope is these tips will help everyone in some way!
- Become a member of the Cumming-Forsyth County Chamber of Commerce. If you are on the fence about this one, please read my article on “10 Things You May Not Know About the Chamber.”
- Have a business roundtable or join one. A business roundtable is a group discussion of business issues, facilitated by a business professional. If you are interested in further information, contact Carlos Cantu at email@example.com.
- Do some market research. Are you in need of demographic research or reports? The Chamber is here to help. If you need a customized report, they will try to accommodate your inquiry. Contact Scott Evans for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Think about doing some continuing education through the University of Georgia Small Business Development Center or the University of North Georgia.
- Access the Small Business Toolkit created by the Cumming-Forsyth Chamber of Commerce
- Make sure to request and/or renew your business licenses.
- Last but not least, set some goals for the year. A Harvard Business study “revealed remarkable statistics relating to goal setting and success: 83% of the population do not have goals; 14% have a plan in mind, but goals are unwritten; and 3% have goals written down. The study found that the 14% who have goals are 10 times more successful than those without goals. The 3% with written goals are three times more successful than the 14% with unwritten goals. Writing your goals down sets you up to be exponentially more successful.”
Happy New Year, Forsyth County & Cumming GA!
This article was written on behalf of the Cumming-Forsyth County Chamber of Commerce