Caution and Safety Urged During Cold Winter Months
Help keep you and your family safe during the winter months with these tips from the Forsyth County Fire Department.
- Have your chimney inspected by a certified chimney sweep to ensure your chimney is properly maintained and ready for use.
- Be sure to schedule a home heating system inspection every year by a certified technician.
- There should be working smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home.
- It is highly recommended to never use fuel-fired gas heaters inside the home.
- Heating appliances and alternate heating devices, such as electric blankets and heaters, should always be turned off when not in use.
- A home oven, stove or barbecue grill should never be used to heat your home.
- Residents should maintain a home safety and survival kit, should the area experience extended ice storms.
- Burning candles should never be left unattended.
- Keep your vehicle well maintained to be sure it is dependable in colder weather. This is especially true with your vehicle’s batteries. Also, make sure to keep the gas tank as full as possible.
- When warming your vehicle in the mornings, be sure to pull outside of the garage to avoid the buildup of gasses.
- In case of emergency, dial 911.