Welcome … the Green Plate Rule
We’re very excited to welcome a new Contributing Blogger to Cumming Local – Victoria of Green Plate Rule. I (Mandi) randomly came across Green Plate Rule one morning and before I knew it I had scoured almost the entire website & the morning was gone! I loved Victoria’s recipes, her style of writing, and her passion – to offer great recipes & practical ways for families to eat “clean”! She does this through her Clean Eating Recipes, Gluten-Free Fridays, and Smoothie Saturday posts.
After stalking her website, I learned she actually lived locally and I knew I wanted to share her site with all of you! Since then, I’ve meet with Victoria in person, she’s come to two of our Girl’s Night Out events, and I’ve learned about her other passion – being a member of the Team Dutch Monkey – Fighting Blood Cancer.
So today, I’m excited to introduce Victoria & Green Plate Rule to you …
I am Victoria Slocum, the blogger behind Green Plate Rule, and I am so happy to share my site with Cumming Local. I have lived in this area since moving here over 15 years ago and cannot imagine living anywhere else! I am passionate about living a healthy, active lifestyle, and do my best to make that lifestyle attainable on my blog.
Healthy eating and active living has become a way of life for me, and my family, but it has not always been that way in our house. Until just a few years ago, I enjoyed meals out of a box, or a drive thru, thought green smoothies were a drink served at Halloween parties, and believed anything with “diet” or “low fat” stamped on it was a good thing. I hardly knew anything about organics, or nutrition, but all of that was about to change. In 2007, I was pregnant with my first child and became immensely interested in health and nutrition.
I knew a few things I wanted to give my children when I became a mom – lots of love, lots of discipline, and proper nutrition. The love and discipline came more natural, but the nutrition I had to learn. Not only did I have to learn how to cook, but also learn what was good and bad in the aisles of the store. It’s been a journey that has given me so much confidence, in the kitchen and my own skin, and the peace of mind knowing my girls are getting what their little bodies need to grow. Making the commitment to a healthy lifestyle was the best decision I could have ever made!
On Green Plate Rule, I focus on clean eating with simple recipes, finding clean products at the store, share school lunch ideas, and lots of smoothies. On the blog, I dedicate Friday’s to gluten-free foods, and Saturday’s to smoothies. I describe my eating habits as the 90 percent rule. I am 90 percent vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free, no sugar added and overall very healthy. For the other 10 percent, I’m still making good decisions it just doesn’t necessarily fall into one of those categories.
I blog about living a healthy lifestyle to a nationwide audience, but I live that lifestyle here in our community. I run with the Total Running group, a local trail running group, Moms RUN This Town, and recently started cycling, thanks to Reality Bikes. I think my greatest commitment in the community is with Team Dutch Monkey – Fighting Blood Cancer. I have been involved with their efforts to raise money for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society for two years, and proud to say we’ve raised over $40,000. I built a friendship with the owners of Dutch Monkey shortly after they opened. I was pregnant with my second daughter, and heard they made everything from scratch with no artificial ingredients or preservatives. I waddled my way in there, about 30+ weeks pregnant to try it out, and have been hooked ever since!
I look forward to being even more involved with our community through Cumming Local! I hope to make eating clean and healthy a little easier for everyone so we can all make the commitment and build an active, healthy community for us and our children.